Subject: [Leica] M6 TTL RF Misalignment
From: pieter@world.std.com (Pieter Bras)
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 12:13:56 -0500

Dr. Joseph Yao wrote:
>Has anyone used a Metz 40 MZ-3 flash on the M6 TTL?  My recently
>acquired M6 TTL 0.85 had a perfect rangefinder until I mounted the Metz
>flash on it.  Now the rangefinder is vertically out of alignment in a
>significant way.  The camera has not been knocked or dropped.  I wonder
>if the 40 MZ-3 is too heavy for the M6?

Sorry to hear about your RF problem.  The M6 TTL must be new enough that
you can get it repaired under warranty.

I have one of these Metz units.  Although it provides high-quality light
output and has mega-features, it is bigger than the M6, heavy, and worst
of all, its weight is totally unbalanced.  A clumsy design -- it will put
serious torque on the hotshoe for instance when you pick up the M6+Metz
combination.

But will it put enough pressure on the camera to screw up the RF?
Don't know.

Try using the Metz off-camera, such as on a bracket.  Or put a low-powered
lightweight flash on the M6 (for fill light only), and put the Metz on a
stand, slaved.

- --
Pieter Bras