Subject: [Leica] Olympus v. Leica
From: Robert Rose <rjr@usip.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 19:12:24 -0800

I can't say whether that post was economic sabotage, but I can speak definitively
on Olympus v. Leica.  I have two OM1 bodies, and a gaggle of lenses:
24mm f/2.8, 35mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm f/2.8, 200mm f/4, and the 70-135 zoom.  I bought the 50mm with a real bug inside for $10.

I gave the whole set to my daughter to use and abuse.  She takes it everywhere (beach, etc.) and produces good stuff.

But it is no Leica.  I have comparison shots of the above lenses to the several Leica lenses, both R and M, that prove this.

IMHO, only two lenses in the above list have orven really worth using:  the 35mm and the 50mm f/1.8, and they produce credible, useful images when stopped down around f/5.6.

But when my daughter really needs the goods (she is in a photography class) she either tries to steal the R4 and one of my lenses, or she uses her Yashicamat 124G.

Now there is a dandy camera!

Bob ;-)