Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Eric-loading an M6
From: RBedw51767@aol.com
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 06:35:13 EST

Thanks Walt.  You have successfully given me the confidence to not being so
anal about the process.  I'm going to slap the film in there and if the rewind
knob turns I will assume it is aligned properly.  Hope my images aren't
backwards.....just joking of course!

Sandy....you try it first, OK

Bob Bedwell

<< Many years ago (20?) when I used my first post-M3 Leica with
 "rapid-load", I had a helluva time...I'd obsess about the
 end of the leader, worry about the sprocket holes lining up
 with the teeth, try to "watch" it as the baseplate was replaced...
 you know the ritual.........

 As someone here said (Eric?)....FAITH, my friend...shove the damn
 film in the spool, slap the baseplate on and wind two frames...
 take up the slack with the rewind knob, wind one more and make
 sure the knob turns (it WILL)....and shoot.....

 The amount of trouble you'll have with rapid load is directly
 proportional to the amount of effort (obsession?) you put into
 it.  A while back I was screwing with my "new" M4-P (third, I
 believe) and I was bored.....I took a junk roll of film and
 loaded it about 20 times, TRYING to screw it up....the sloppier
 I was, the more "confident" the loading system was!!

 Here's a note:  Don't even think about removing the spring.....
 don't EVER try to "wind-on" a coupla frames with the bottom off...
 it AIN'T designed to work that way!  You NEED the little plastic
 piece of crap on the base plate to push the leader into position
 against the spring....just stick the film in, like the little
 drawing shows (with or without Ted's "crimp" in the leader - works
 fine if you'd like to try it) and slap the bottom on!!!  I
 DESPISED my first one....now I load them while walking in a
 drizzle without a hitch....wouldn't have anything else.....my wife
 won't part with her M2 bodies 'cuz she can't stand the 4s and 6s!!!
 to each his own.....

 If you bulk load, be sure to make a leader about 60% the width
 of the film (please, no MM rulers, get it CLOSE) and make sure
 the cut is parallel to the edges of the film for at least an
 inch or two...and it'll work FINE....

 Best U and URS

 Walt