Subject: Re: Re: [Leica] High School track meet (let's try this again)
From: "Bill" <ohlen@lightspeed.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 09:10:58 -0800

Doug:

In this area (central California), the going rate for commercially produced
team photos is $13.  This is a single 8 x 10 color print.  A package that
includes the 8 x 10 and 8 wallet sized pictures of your child is $20.  They
usually arrange the photo so that it is static (and I think they purposely try
to get the tree in the background to appear to grow out of the subject's
head).  I don't know what the productions costs are because the folks that
specialize in this type of work have a lot of economies of scale going for
them.

While I could care less about cheapening the market and impinging on the
territory of "professional" photographers, you are apparently sensitive to
this issue.

If you really don't need a profit, you might consider setting up sales somehow
so that your expenses are paid and any profit is a donation to the fund
raising activities of the track team.  This would probably get you out of a
lot of requests for freebies and favors.

If you can shift your thinking so that you mentally think of yourself as the
team's promotion and public relations photographer, you will probably solve a
lot of "what to do" questions for yourself.

Regards,  Bill Larsen
ohlen@lightspeed.net