Subject: Re[2]: [Leica] Things that I like; now: off topic about Richard Jewel
From: Harrison McClary <mcclary@iname.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 20:49:37 -0600

 Saturday, February 27, 1999, Dan wrote:
> I will never forget those scenes of journalists by the score parked outside
> of Richard Jewel's home day after day.  Most of them were the CNNers and
> other TV types, but I'm sure there were representatives of the print media
> as well.  What were they expecting to happen?  Did they honestly think that
> some FBI agent would come waltzing out of the home with a handfull of pipe
> bombs?  I can't imagine a single news worthy thing that could have come out
> of that, even if the guy WAS guilty.

Ok,   this has gotten way off topic, but since I worked in Atlanta up
till right before this happened I want to comment on this.

Jewell  was  found innocent. The FBI dropped charges. The press ruined
his  reputation.  The  media  in their hysteria to try and convict him
before  he  was even arrested helped ruin him. If you are ever accused
of anything like this remember you are guilty until proven innocent no
matter  what  the  constitution says...The media has a first amendment
right  to  say  what  they  want  as long as it is phrased as "Suspect
Richard Jewell" ect. They will run stories front page 72 point headers
saying how you have been plotting evil since being a security guard at
Kennesaw  College  while  the  investigation  is  going  on, then when
charges  are  never brought and are dropped it will make page 8A lower
left column 18 point header and 1 graph saying how you are not guilty.

I  have  spent  13  years working in the print media. I know there are
major problems with credibility, IMHO the profession has lost a lot of
the respect and honor it used to have.

Reasons  for this are many...poor/incompetent journalists who screw up
quotes...TV media pandering to masses...my apologies to the few of you
in  the broadcast media who are actually trained to be journalists...I
have  seen  way  too many talking heads who think they are celebrities
and could not interview their way out of a hall open at both ends. And
also  this  trying people before they are even brought to trial, hell
before  charges  are  even  brought  as in the case of Richard Jewell.
Also  the  obsession with the "celebrity" as news

Another  thing  causing  this decline is something I was touching on a
few  months  ago...the  competition in the marketplace has pretty much
dried up.

Used to be competing newspapers an AM and a PM in most cities, usually
locally  owned.  Now  just  an  AM. Chances of this single paper being
owned  by  NYTRNG,  Scripps  Howard, Gannett, Morris, Knight-Ridder or
some  of  the other big chains are great. Kill the competition and the
need  for accuracy dries up...AP is the largest wire service and it is
pitiful...Eric  what  do  ya think...from what I hear nothing like the
old  days  when they had UPI and Reuter and AFP making a dent in their
market keeping them on their toes.

Add to this many people don't bother to read any more and the informed
among the populace is rapidly dropping...I know some of you are going
to  scream  "I  read  2-3  papers a day"  Just by the fact you use the
internet,  and  subscribe  to  a  mailing list like this makes you the
exception rather than the rule.

BTW  I  saw  a  quote  from  Carl  Bernstein  saying he hates American
Journalism   today.   "It's   disfigured   by  celebrity,  gossip  and
sensationalism...I  believe  it's the role of journalists to challenge
people,   not   just   mindlessly  amuse  them...In  this  culture  of
journalistic  titillation,  we  teach our readers and our viewers that
the  trivial  is important."..Bernstein speaking at a Jewish Federation
gathering  in  Florida Thursday, quoted from the Nashville Tennessean.
Sounded  sorta  like what BD wrote the other day. Guess those Pulitzer
winning writers all think alike. ;)

Sorry  to  ramble  so long...I can see where Jim Brick was coming from
and   often  feel some of the same things...but I realize a large part
of the problem is what sells and pays the bills for the media outlets,
not  with  most of the average Joe's out there working a beat 7 days a
week.

Best regards,
 Harrison                          mailto:mcclary@iname.com
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto