Subject: [Leica] Re: web images
From: "Tim Spragens" <t.spragens@cityweb.de>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 20:58:00 +0100

Pascal wrote:
> How do others resolve this issue? Is there such thing as an optimum
> cross-platform gamma level where pictures are enjoyable on all computer
> platforms?

Your two last Elena photos look a bit blown out on my WinAMD box.
I've got the gamma set to 1.8, as I recall.

There's no real way to assure that what you see is what anyone else
will see. Too many variables on too many different boxes. Besides
gamma, the colour temperature can differ widely, with some
peoples' white much bluer than others. Phosphors from different
manufacturers vary.

It doesn't just happen on monitors. Papers in the US tend to be a
warmer white than those in Europe as well. If you had an image set
for printing on your printer here, sent the same file to someone in
the US to print on the same printer, the chances are they wouldn't
look the same.

Get them out the best you can, if you get responses making you
think it doesn't look right, check it on a different system and try to
find an acceptable medium.

Regards,

Tim