Subject: Re: [Leica] On Topic Bird Photography
From: "Roy Zartarian" <royzart@connix.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 23:40:45 +0000

Robert,

The blind, being new, may deter the birds for a couple of days until
they become accustomed to its presence.  Small birds, as I'm sure
Doug Herr will agree, are damned difficult to nail on film because
they move so much.  They're either feeding or looking around for
predators.  So equip yourself with a winder/motor drive and be
prepared to burn lots of film.

Do you have feeders set up? These with some additional "natural"
perches may help bring the birds into a suitable position for
photography.

I for one would be most interested in your reactions to the L.L. Rue
blind since I've been casting about for a means of concealment to use
in area frequented by great horned owls.

BTW, your spectacular eagle images ran through my mind last weekend
as I got my bald eagles of the year (one mature that a couple of
other birders pointed out, one dark breasted immature that the
APO-Televid picked out in the branches through the light haze) on the
Connecticut River.  However, the distance was such that I confined
myself to looking.

Roy

On 28 Feb 99 at 22:03, Robert G. Stevens wrote:

> More on topic:
>
> Tomorrow or the next day, when my new carbon fibre Gitzo from Joseph
> arrives and my LL Rue portable blind arrives, I think I will try to
> get some good pictures of the six or so Bluejays that have been in
> my back yard over the winter.  These are pretty small birds, unlike
> the bald eagles I have done already, so I will probably have to get
> withing six to ten feet of them to get frame filling pictures using
> my 400mm lens. Any suggestions from the birders on the list?
>
> Regards,
>
> Robert
>

> At 05:22 PM 2/28/99 -0800, you wrote:
> >What a boring list this would be if we discussed only Leica....... and
> >Leica......... and Leica...........
> >Joseph Codispoti

   Roy C. Zartarian
   "A prophet is not without honor except in his
    own land and among his own people"

Written with the assistance of a labrador retriever whose chin is on the key board. All typos are his fault.