Subject: Re: [Leica] Tele-Elmarit first and second
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 06:12:40 +0000

At 01:45 PM 1/3/99 -0800, you wrote:
>Lucian wrote:
>snip
>> The Elmarit win against the Tele-Elmarit (1974) (even if I prefer
>> to use the T-E because of its size and because mine don't
>> seem
>> to be prone to flare).
>snip
>
>I'm looking at page 159 of The Leica Collectors Guide by Laney and they
>are showing both the first and second versions of the Tele-Elmarit 90
>five and four elements respectively.
>We've been going off and on, hot and cold, love and hate on this lens
>for the 3 or 4 months I have been here. Both had a filter size of 39 but
>the thin second lens as 220g and the first made till '74 was 325g. I'm
>willing to bet the lovers had the five element and the haters like
>myself had the four element.
>I'm sure the people at Leitz who scaled down that lens that unreasonably
>far will all come back in another life as small unhappy rodents.
>For me it was a glitch in the Leica smiley faced pie in the sky along
>with the titanium paint.
>We should clarify which version of the lenes we are talking about.
>Mark Rabiner

Hate is a strong word.  I am most disappointed with the performance of my
90 Tele-elmarit (bottom right picture of Laney's book at page 159), Wetzlar
vintage.

Interestingly,  my collapsible 90 elmar (top left picture) which also
sports 4 elements is a beaut of a lens - sharp, contrasty, and happily free
from flare.

Dan K.