Subject: [Leica] celebs and great photography
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 16:42:24 -0800

Mark Rabiner wrote:

> snip    awful lot of his dreck out there....pretty pictures of
> > celebrities too often get confused with great photography....

I saw a presentation by David Hume Kennerly last week.  Some really nice
pix, but as usual in these things I keep asking, would this stand alone
as a great photo if the people weren't famous??  You know the answer to
that.

At the same PhotoNight event a year or so ago we saw Douglas Faulkner.
He spoke of spending a month traveling Europe and North America with one
actress (can't remember name) just to get one good photo.  Today, he
said, he'd get 20 minutes.

Bilderburg, a documentary photo agency in Germany in an interview with a
magazine said they used to get three weeks on a story, but now are down
to three days max.

And we wonder why quality is slipping...

donal
- --
Donal Philby
San Diego