Subject: [Leica] Re: Feedback sought on Colour Heads & Analysers
From: "Michael D. Turner" <mike@lcl-imaging.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 20:36:21 -0800

Jim Brick wrote:

> The reason for an analyzer (one that can be used as a "densitometer", 3000,
> 5100, 6000) is that the brightness ratio can be read so that mask (if
> needed) and paper type (Ilfochrome comes in contrast grades) can be easily
> determined. What density to make the mask (if you need one) can be
> determined. It also allows you to make white, white, without test strips.
> If you want it that way.

Eyeball (after some initial trial and error tests) is far more accurate. A
little bit of hands-on experience printing will allow you to assess a  slide
for contrast and density pretty well. First guess wrong? It's easy to tell
which way to go. Ilfochrome does have a lot of latitude and masks need not be
that precise. If you want detail on mask-making without a densitometer, let me
know: mike@lcl-imaging.com.

Mike