Subject: RE: [Leica] "Series" filters.
From: Jeremy Kime <jeremy.kime@bbc.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 13:35:00 -0000

I'm not sure when they started using the series system but I would presume
that the advantage is in the manufacturing process and storage space.
No screw threads to cut, just a simple ring around the glass.
Less deep filters (without the threads) equals more filters in the same
space (inside your bag).

I've an old (late) 35 Summilux which takes S7 filters in the hood
(seperable) don't forget that 48mm filters work in this as well, a favourite
Canon and Leitz size.
Perhaps the wierdest arrangement is for my 50mm Summilux, I couldn't find a
reasonable (cheap) 43mm filter but was able to buy a (Japanese) 43mm->S6
ring, a Leitz S6 filter and a Leitz S6 retaining ring all for 3 GBP! You
can't get the lens hood over it though!

Jem