Subject: Re(2): [Leica]IIIf film loading
From: Francisco.ACOSTA@DG3.cec.be
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 14:42:18 +0100

I've lost part of this thread but I think that the following instructions to load the LTM's (thank you Andrew!) might interest some of you. They work flawlessly but three things are essential: train, train and train.

Francisco
Brussels

Remove the lens
Set rewind lever to "A" position
Wind the film advance to the "next frame"
  (This properly positions the shutter dial numbers)
Set high speed shutter dial to "25-1" speed
Set low speed shutter dial to "T"
Press the shutter release button
  (curtain should open and stay open)
Remove bottom cover
Set camera upside down, lens mount facing you
Remove film take-up spool
Insert film lead onto take-up spool (in principle it can be done with the "normal" lead)
Insert the cassette and take-up spool into the camera,
  pulling out film as necessary.
Keeping the cassette and spool at the same level helps.

Now pick up the camera and repeat the following steps
in small increments:

- - sticking your thumb through the lensmount, gently
  push the film (touching the surface) up towards the
  top surface of the camera
- - wind the advance knob to bring more film onto the spool.
  (when it hits the stop and the curtain closes, press the
  shutter release to open it again)
- - push the cassette and spool in a bit more

Mix up those steps as necessary.  It goes quick, and most
of it is done by feel.

Once you think it's done, release/wind another frame while
peering down into the spool side.  You should see the
sprockets engaged properly on the film perforation.