Subject: Re: [Leica] 60 Optics
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 1999 18:25:36 +0100

Lucian,

CDI has tested all the macro lenses quite a few times in the last 15
years.  A certain number of 50-60 mm macro lenses get the 5 star rating
on optical quality (with very
similar result graphs). A few of them get 5 or 4 stars in the "cote
d'amour" field, which also takes into account price/quality ratio,
practical qualities and various subjective reactions.

It is a false assumption to state that "its optical performace is
approached only by the Nikkor 60, according to CDI" !!!!

Here is what seems to be the latest situation for the leader group's
"cote
d'amour" (ALL HERE HAVE 5 STARS for optical qualities) (one of the
sources to be
read: Macro lens test in nr 174 - June 95)

Contax Makro S Planar 60mm f2.8: 4 stars
Leica Macro Elmarit R 60mm f2.8: 2 stars in '98 (4 stars in '95)
Minolta AF Macro 50mm f2.8 : 5 stars in '97 - 4 stars in '95 (4 stars on
the optical side)
Micro-Nikkor 55 mm f2.8 AIS: 5 stars
Micro-Nikkor AF 60mm f/2.8D: 5 stars
Pentax F 50mm f2.8 SMC Macro: 5 stars