Subject: [Leica] Tina Manley at the Univeristy of LaVerne
From: "Bill" <ohlen@lightspeed.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 1999 09:03:58 -0800

On Thursday, March 4, I was privileged to attend Tina Manley’s lecture and
exhibition opening at the University of La Verne in Southern California.

Tina is an interesting speaker.  I have always wondered how she was able to
capture the feeling that despite living in poverty (by our standards), her
subjects were dignified.  After listening to her lecture, I concluded that she
doesn’t view the people in her photographs as "subjects," but as real people.
She is able to capture their character on film by being part of their life and
knowing them.

Tina’s web page photograph digitization catch a flavor of the prints that were
in the exhibition, but  lack the exquisite detail that shows in the print.  I
was very impressed with the capabilities of the Leica lenses that Tina used
and her darkroom techniques to pull out detail of photographs taken in very
difficult natural light conditions (classifying candle light as natural).

LUGGER Gary Colby and his assistant Kevin Holland were excellent hosts.  They
have a really slick darkrooms set up at ULV.  They were the cleanest rooms I
have seen.  I think Kevin is susceptible to catching the Leica bug.

Thanks Tina, Gary and Kevin for such a great show.

Regards, Bill Larsen