Subject: Re: [Leica] Fungus!
From: Andre Jean Quintal <megamax@abacom.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1999 05:57:40 -0500

At 17:48 +0000 07/03/99, D Khong wrote:
[ ... ]
>The bottom line is that if your trip "into der tropics" is under one month
>and if you use the gear most of the time, you are unlikely to have a fungus
>problem!!  If you do, I can always recommend a good technician.
>
>Dan K.
	Questions that come up are:

	1/ Aren't LEICA photo optics sealed watertight ?
	2/ Does LEICA use "gases" IN their lenses ?
	     As in their multi-coated Trinovid binoculars ?
	3/ Wouldn't fungus require a "seminal pod"
	     to grow from, in context ?
	     Would a solution that contains alcohol ?
		peroxide ?  chlorine ?  windex ?
	    	be the right way to prevent such
		molds or fungi from building ?
		Or simply wipe the lens dry and let it
		in the sun for half an hour or an hour ???
	4/ Are there rust prone materials in a LEICA lens ?
	5/ For people who "must" shoot in rainy, extra damp,
	     splashing mud or melting snow conditions, would it help to get
	     some sort of a translucent plastic or vinyl
	     "harsh weather" protective "glove",
	     a bit like those used by TV camera crews ?

	Comments most welcome.

		          <<<< o >>>>

	Of course, LEICA owners often shoot crocrodile
	close-ups and mating hippopotamuses... < gr >
	BUT I readily remember spending a whole afternoon
	in the middle of a stream, almost to my neck,
	to get a special shot I had in mind ( ... the little
	fishes kept "kissing" me, friendly or not).

	One shot I really hope I get some day
	is a very close [ and smiling ! ] dragonfly one... or series
	AND a pseudo-color infra-red water lily
	and lotus series. Lazy dog days... in the sunshine.

	Make yours a great LEICA day. Plan ahead.

	Andre Jean Quintal

   "Only when it's dark enough
    can you see the stars."

	Martin Luther King jr