Subject: Re: [Leica] Summicron 35/2 wide open
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1999 20:54:15 -0500

Guys- (Oops, and Gals, too!)
Nothing wrong with the old Summicron 35! Quite respectable performer!
I even have the 35/3,5 Summaron LTM which I had heard was such a dog. Tried
it shooting the shadowed front of the store, almost directly at the sun,
with the sun just over the top of the store.... Sure- some localized flare
where the image of the sun came over the roof- just off frame. I was amazed
that the rest of the frame had decent contrast, and you could see detail in
the other parts of the shot.
What prompted me to try it was seeing a shot, similar in aspect, with the
sun to the front, taken by one of our sales people with a Nikon AF zoom....
The whole frame had been blown out by flare!
I am sure there is a great improvement in the new stuff, but the old stuff
performs in a lot of cases as well as your basic brand X of today, and that
ain't bad!
I think if you realize the limitations of the old stuff, and work with it,
trying to see how the masters did it, you can come up with some pretty
competent photos.... Unfortunately for me, Leica doesn't help with the
composition! I am pretty much hanging out there on my own, swinging in the
wind betimes!   :o)~
Dan