Subject: RE: [Leica] Re:m-6 film scratching.
From: Jeremy Kime <jeremy.kime@bbc.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 14:29:18 -0000

Bob,
Leica cassettes have been made since the early days of the screw system as
'In the Beginning' there were no manufactured cassettes at all, you had to
load film yourself from long cine film reels. They are certainly superior.

The cassettes are brass made and effectively present two shells which rotate
around one another, each having an opening of c. 1/4" for the film to pass
through. When out of the camera the cassette is closed and light tight,
however upon closing the camera with the baseplate key the two openings on
the pair of shells align to create a non-abrasive gap through which the film
can pass to be wound on and rewound. Only upon re-opening the camera is the
cassette closed again. There is no felt anywhere in the design.

There were two distinct cassettes made, (looking very similar though) one
for the screw series and one for the M series (which also works in the
screws if I remember correctly) you need the shorter one of the two (by
about a millimeter or two!) and it's also identifiable by the chrome opening
pin on the top.

You find them in s/h sales only these days, but they are usually plentiful
and not too expensive. Any good Photo-fair will doubtless have a few. Expect
to pay between 2-10 GBP (5-15 USD) each.

Jem