Subject: Re: [Leica] PX 625 Batteries
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 12:39:52 -0500

At 10:49 AM 1999-03-09 -0500, Keith St John wrote:
>It is my understanding that PX 625(mercury) battery is the only battery
>to be used in Leica meters, not the alkaline EPX625's.  The EPX625 will
>end up frying the circuit board of the meter.

This isn't true.  The MR's will function quite nicely with the Alkaline or
Silver-Oxide cells.  They retain their accuracy and don't seem to suffer
from loss of accuracy as the battery wears out.

I believe they have an inbuilt voltage regulator to ensure this accuracy
but this was challenged three or four years back on the LUG, and we never
seem to have gotten a final word.

In any event, I run mine on silver-oxide PX76's, bushed to fit, and haven't
had any problems.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!