Subject: Re: [Leica] Need Lens advice, please help!
From: Andre Jean Quintal <megamax@abacom.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 17:13:28 -0500

At 08:34 -0800 09/03/99, Paul Klingaman wrote:
[ ... ]
>2. What focal length?
>Either 50 or 35.  [ ... ]
>3.  What is important?
>Available light.  I don't like to use flash, and like to stick to the
>slower films, so it's got to be somewhat fast.
[  ... ]

	--> very definitely a 35mm model
	     for a ton and a half of "reasons":
	     it simply has to be the MOST useful focal
	     length for a single lens system.
                     Later on, you could pick up a 75mm (perhaps a less
	     expensive model than the f/1.4 will surface in time... likely)
	     or a 90mm, for portraits and related
	     sorts of subjects, or your dream Noctilux.

	--> which 35mm ? Looking for "value" :
	     The current Summicron-M f/2 ASPH
	     can't be all that bad ...   ;+)
	     OR a recent pre-owned 35mm design, in second place.
	     OR a pre-owned Summilux-M 35mm, if the opportunity
	     arises, third, ... but here enters the same logic
	     directed towards acquiring a pre-owned Noctilux,
	     per your other statements.

	     Your preferences imply rather low light capability,
	     the current 35mm f/2 ASPH probably would make
	     a LOT of sense, over and above anything else.

	--> There goes another Black & White Leica owner.
	     It breaks my heart: color, color, color !
	     Springtime at that !
	     I guarantee you'll flip over when exposed [ ! ]
	     to the sort of quality images you can get from
	     LEICA brand optics in color: Optima II 100,
	     Royal Gold 100, Reala 100, Agfa Ultra 50, Ektar Pro 25,
	     processed by a lab you know delivers constant
	     quality and brilliant color. Perhaps trying
	     a few shots printed on Ektacolor Edge 7
	     could win a one-roll springtime compromise?

	Applying a bonus towards a LEICA has to be
	the most gratifying of decisions.

	Wishing you a few "lucky ones" each month ...

	Andre Jean Quintal

   "Only when it's dark enough
    can you see the stars."

	Martin Luther King jr