Subject: [Leica] Re: [ OFF TOPIC ] Bitching against Kodak
From: drodgers@nextlink.net
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 16:30:25 -0800

Eric

You wrote:

>>So I think there is hope, if Kodak
will push it a bit. Update the emulsion, and they could have an edge on
Fuji again.<<

I just tried some Kodachrome again after a long hiatus. I'm not very good at
describing a film. All I know is that it has a special look -- very subtle, but
special. Sometimes things can have added interested due to a different type of
film, or processing.

When cross processing first arrived on the scene, it was interesting. Then
everyone jumped on the bandwagon. It almost become the norm, and normal
processing became the novelty. (Not completely, but you know what I mean). Now
it seems lots of fashion photographers are moving away from cross processing.

The difference between E-6 and Kodachrome is not as great as the difference
between souping Ektachrome in C-41, or C-41 films in E-6. But even subtle
difference hold value.    The subtle difference may even be more valuable than
the vast differences, which eventually turn fadish. How difficult do you think
it would be to duplicate the look of "Picket Fence" on modern b/w materials?
Everyone talks about how fine grained and sharp the new films are. But I'm not
sure it's all good. Especially if it means the demise of older materials.
Companies will always put on the spin that newer is better, even when the facts
are that older is too expensive. There's less silver in the new emulsions.

I used to think content and composition was everything. I don't think so
anymore. I still think they are far and away the most important factor in making
a photograph interesting. But the little things are not to be overlooked. A
while back you could have asked me if photograph on Ektachrome would have been
any better or worse had it been taken on Kodachrome. I'd have said it mattered
not. Now I'm not so sure. I like variety. I like choices. I don't like the fact
that I have too little resources -- time lacking most -- to try everything out
thoroughly.

Dave