Subject: Re: [Leica] lenses
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 22:52:13 -0600

At 05:37 PM 3/9/99 -0800, you wrote:

>Leica has always created excellent optics.  In my opinion, purchasing an
>APO is like guilding the Lily.  The laws of Optics mention that maximum

Well, like we say over and over again, if all that counts is sharpness,
then Leica isn't necessarily worth owning. Other lines have lenses just as
sharp.

>with some members?  Remember, Photography is an ART and is expressed with
>profound originality.  Our cameras are simply a vehicle toward that
>ultimate goal.

So, are you happy with the much less expensive camera line Ricoh? No? You
use Leica? Why bother?

We already know this well. I'm not flaming you, but these kinds of
statements have been here over and over, and we all say them at one time or
other. We know this stuff. But it is helpful to remind our selves once in a
while what it's really all about. As for the "camera is just a box" thing.
It's true in one sense, and not true in another very important sense. And
Leica's cameras are very good points in that direction.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

C:\BELFRY is where I keep my .BAT files.