Subject: Re: [Leica] Image Editing Software Help
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 10:16:04 -0600

At 06:42 AM 3/11/99 -0800, you wrote:
>Can anyone recommend something good in image editing software?
>Hopefully something other than the $600 plus Adobe Photoshop.  I just
>bought a film scanner so am brand new to digitizing and manipulating
>images and don't know if I could benefit from all the features of
>Adobe in the foreseeable future.

Let me tell you, I've found Photoshop to be absolutely wonderful! I have it
at home (got lucky and ended up getting the original Windows version for
$49 - what a bargain! - I traded it for something they wanted at work, and
they weren't using the Windows version there any more, so it was a waste of
shelf space). Two upgrades, and about $300 later, and I have 5.0. It has
calibration settings that are really important for good reproduction.

I just picked up an Epson printer the other day, and by calibrating the
monitor in Photoshop, and using ICM in the printer driver, I get true what
you see is what you get - nearly indistinguishable anyway, and easy to
compensate for now) in color and black and white that looks like real
prints from a photo lab.

No, better than most places you would get prints done, except high-end pro.
labs.

Photoshop is a very good choice for accuracy in printing, therefore worth
the expense.

But if you don't want that, Adobe Photo Deluxe is a program to consider,
but it's run by some numbskull menu, rather than like Photoshop. But it's
basically a stripped-down version of Photoshop.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Today's subliminal thought is...