Subject: Re: [Leica] Noctilux - shooting wide open
From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 21:07:53 -0800

Let's hear it for the Summilux! Mine is a very early version, chrome lens,
with a serial number about two years prior to when they are reported to have
been first made. It belonged to a southern Calif Leica rep named Roy Bissel.

It's not the optimum Summilux lens design, which was improved a few years
later. But it still takes great available light shots. I took five rolls of
Tri-X last week-end at a Rotary Youth Exchange conference at the Westminster
Woods campground near Santa Rosa, CA. Most of the activities were indoors
and I think that these very "bright" kids from all over the world made up
for the stop difference between the Nocitilux and Summilux!

Most shots were wide open and some of the negs look very good. I sure missed
a few, tho. Focus of kids moving around a lot in dim light is quite a
challenge.

Ever see a chrome Summilux on a chrome M3? Now that's what I call Leica
"density". What a classic looking package, with a heft and feel that has to
be worth a least one f-stop!

>John:
>
>I will give you an angle you might not have considered.
>
>I have used a noctilux, i gave it a good workout, and I now own (and
>Love) a Summilux.
>Tom (owner of 5 leica lenses, who uses a 50 summillux 60% or more of the
time)