Subject: RE: [Leica] Off topic: Rolliflex and Minox questions
From: "Joao Ranito" <Joao.Ranito@novabase.pt>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 11:08:19 -0000

Dear Jon,

I have at least some info on the Rollei: I also have one, a 1965 3.5 Planar
that my father used to use. The Rolleiflex supports both formats: 6x6
directly, 24x36 with a Rolleikin attachment (new spools, new frame for the
viewfinder, new film plane gizmo, etc.). It works quite well. I use it once
in a while...

Advantages:
1) you get a 75mm (in my Rollei), very usefull for portraits (specially with
the close focus attachment which I don't know if you have)
2) only the center of the lens is used, so quality sky-rockets (both
sharpness, vignetting and contrast), at least in my Planar, a tad soft
wide-open.
3) if you are stuck in a place where 6x6 is not available, you can always
get the shot.
4) useful for taking photos above hundreds of heads in concerts, riots, etc.
(Ok, that's not a specific advantage of the Rolleikin but I do not know lots
of 35mm cameras I can use upsidedown and have a decent view on a
groundglass...)
5) VERY low noise. Non-reflex, leaf-shutter, good mechanics, the Rollei is
about one of the quietest cameras I own (if not THE quietest) and I find the
Leicas (both the M6 and M3) quiet, not to mention my Hexar, almost spooky in
quiet mode...

Disadvantages:
1) a heavy and large camera for 35mm, a M6 is much smaller :-))
2) horizontal shoths can be a pain, as the camera must be hold sideways
3) awkward loading mechanism
4) frame counter not automatic, you must press a button to advance
5) involves some modifications on the camera; exchanging dials, etc.
Everything is reversible, but...

Regarding your lens, the Tessar is a 4-element lens (I think...) and very
good stopped down,  so use it when you have lots of light or load fast film.
So please, use those wonderful new 400 ASA films (grain is less of issue in
6x6, believe me) or even uprating B&W films to 800. Beware of the 1/500
limitation on the shutter speed when laoding very fast film. But it
synchronizes at 1/500, and that is saying a lot for fill-in.

The Planar lens is better wide-open, comparable stopped-down (maybe the
Tessar is a bit more contrasty and less prone to flare) but more expensive.
The present version uses a 2.8 Planar. There was some cheaper lens, at the
time, something around a Trinar? Triotar? Don't remember...

OTH,

Joao Ranito