Subject: Re: [Leica] existential pleasures of engineering (2)
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 08:13:22 -0600 (CST)

Tom, I'm sorry but buying something on the basis of claims that
don't exist in reality is irrational....but, as I said, I own many
things because I >like< them......I don't then need to make up
excuses....

It's been my experience that Leicas are less reliable (in adjustment,
and with regard to unexplained "jams") than my old Nikons....I
LOVE my Leicas, and "tolerate" my Nikons because I do work that
occasionally requires close-ups and 200mm.  The Nikons are the
"tools" I'd have to depend on if my income were totally from
photography.

But I "like" the Leicas....

On the audio analogy (a field you're familiar with, I believe)
I stated that R/S interconnects were audibly no different than
the X-brand, $900 interconnects....I use neither.   The problem
with R/S is the 'quality' of the materials....I want better
connectors, plated contacts, etc.  Actually, I like to make them
with quality connectors and some non-descript teflon-silver
"coax" I came by years ago (trash picking!)...it's a quality
product....but no, with proper termination (low source impedance,
short runs to Hi-Z inputs) there is no difference, measured or
otherwise....and no one has proven a difference, even with
THEIR own test environment....but I still don't use cheap
junk....for reliability and resistance to corrosion....that's
not irrational...to "hear" differences is, offensive or not.

I do lots of things that are irrational....I prefer friction
shifting on my bicycle, and non-aero brake levers!...but
I also know that if I go on a "group" outing, I'll get the
looks and comments that go with my preference....I just
grin and talk about being an "old fart" (depends on your
viewpoint!)...

I compared my usual stereo amp (EL-34, triode push-pull, minimal
feedback, Mullard front end, driving Altecs) to a friends
SE 300B single ended amp....mine sounded 'tighter' (and of
course would measure so)...he agreed....ya know what? Now
I want to build a SE triode!!!......they just look neat,
and I like the minimalism...I'll "get used" to the sound!!!
But I'll NEVER claim it to be a "better" amp, for that,
buy a Krell/whatever....big-ass arc welder and drive Apogees with
it.....Not my cup of tea, but you won't here me claiming my
amps to be "better" -- I'd be deemed "irrational" :) :)

I'm always amazed at the number of people who choose to 'live'
outside of accepted 'norms', and then claim to be 'offended'.
I have a "bizarre" lifestyle, mostly rooted in the late 50s/
60s.....old house, old truck, tube audio, old leicas,
yadayadayadayada...with occasional excursions to the "lunatic"
fringe (theatre sound, analog, home-made open-wire antenna
feeders, AM broadcast transmitter in the corner of the living
room (working on that one) etc....but I can't take my Leicas
on my l970 road bike to the tube audio show and expect to NOT
get strange looks/comments, just as if I wore a dress (haven't
tried that one, my wife's clothes don't fit)

So I just surround myself with other lunatics (Collins reflector,
Leica reflector, friend named "bicycle John", etc).  And yes,
when I post my off-the-wall bullshit here or elsewhere, I expect
to get blasted!!...but I have a thick skin.

I'm really a nice guy.  Honest.  I am. No shit.  it's TRUE, I
tell ya!!!  :) :) :) :)

best to U and URS,
Walt

On