Subject: [Leica] Turkeys and Telyts week 2 (long)
From: Doug Herr <71247.3542@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 16:01:53 -0500

Spring has arrived in California's Central Valley.  The wintering Sandhill
Cranes are gone, magpies are building their nests,  wrens are proclaiming
territory and the male Wild Turkeys are displaying with hormonal fervor.

To heal my left eye's retina, doctor's orders are to spend time doing
something I enjoy, so I went to Ancil Hoffman Park again this weekend to
photograph wild birds.  This week the turkeys were harder to find.  I could
hear their calls from hundreds of yards away but the brush and their
constant movement through the forest made visual contact challenging.  As
with last week, the 280 (f/4.8 Telyt-V) was my preferred lens; neither the
400 or 560 made it out of the backpack, this time not only because of the
brush but also because of the heavy overcast.

The turkeys had gathered in a band of 30 or so, with as many as 5 males
displaying at once.  One of the males was clearly dominant, driving off
most other males that dared display near the hens.  The subordinate males
displayed on the fringes of the flock, except for one which the dominant
male tolerated at his side.  On rare occasions these two males displayed
side-by-side in the same plane of focus.  Shutter speeds (K200) were in the
1/60 to 1/125 range, stabilized with a monopod (an REI model w/
quick-release plate purchased on sale for $10).  The monopod was usually
collapsed and tucked under my armpit.  I find that this reduces camera
shake as much or more than using the monopod extended to the ground.  The
monopod on the ground does a good job of eliminating vertical and pitch
movements but does nothing to reduce lateral camera movement.  Tucked under
my armpit, the monopod steadies the camera nearly as well as the 400's
shoulder stock.

Wrens (Bewick's and House) were so intent on establishing breeding
territory that for the most part they ignored me: 280 Telyt, with extension
tube.  Ordinarily they'd be hiding in dense underbrush but now they want
maximum exposure.

The most difficult part of the morning was getting a clear view of the
turkeys; next most difficult was getting a FRONT view of them!  The 280 +
SL combination was superb again.  This is becoming my "forest critters"
outfit.  The 250 f/4 Telyt-R (2nd version) or a 280 APO-Telyt-R would be
easier to use in the close-focus range but for now the Telyt-V works fine,
particularly since it's paid for.

Doug Herr
Sacramento