Subject: RE: [Leica] continuously variable M shutter?
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 08:31:48 -0600

At 08:41 AM 3/15/99 -0500, you wrote:
>The shutter speeds on all Ms are continuously variable, but the M6 meter
>will only meter in full stops, that is why they recommend using only full
>shutter speeds with the M6.  However, understanding that, I have never seen
>a reason to use intermediate speeds.  If you are using T-Max or a similarly
>unforgiving film under controlled conditions, it seems easier to adjust the
>diaphragm unless you are already shooting wide open.  I tend to use films
>with wide latitude (no chromes, I admit) and rely on judgement and a couple
>of stops forgiveness in the film to give good exposures.

Buzz. First of all, the M6 meter has indications for 1/2 stop exposures
(when it's not fully bright, you're a half-stop off). And you answered your
own question - wide open can cause you to want to use intermediate stops.
And so you can meter continuously with an M6, but indication is no more
accurate than 1/2 stop, except you can roll back and forth and get a feel
for when it's in the middle of that 1/2 stop difference.

As for wide exposure latitude, that's a myth propounded by the photo press.
There is no such thing. There are good exposures, and close exposures, and
off exposures. The closer you get to the ideal exposure, the better your
highlights, shadows and overall exposures are going to be. Negative film is
no answer for bad technique. And getting good exposure isn't something that
takes great artistic skill or anything, just practice and some
self-criticism. That's why I think I was fortunate to learn on slide film.
I learned early on how to do good, accurate exposures.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

    The strength and power of despotism
     consists wholly in the fear of resistance.
               -- Thomas Paine