Subject: [Leica] Help evaluating a 135/2.8
From: George Hartzell <hartzell@corp.webtv.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 13:16:40 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

I broke down and purchased a 135/2.8.  I have it for evaluation, and
have to decide whether to keep it or send it back.

I've made a couple of observations:

  1) the focus is very stiff, nothing like my newer 90/2.8 or 35/2.0.
     Might a CLA make it easier to spin?

  2) Not that I want to put a filter on the front of it, but I noticed
     that either it's not threaded, or it has something screwed in.
     There's what looks like a glass-less filter as the last thing on
     the lens, it says VII on one side and 14161 Canada on the other
     side.

     Actually, now that I apply some force, it spins off like a filter
     too, but no glass. Hmmmm.  A device to Prevent One From Using a
     Filter?   How Leica-ish...

  3) If I shine a flashlight through the lens from the front, and
     carefully (boy, is it bright when you look straight into it) look
     at the elements, there's a small blotch of white on what seems to
     be the inside of the rear element.

     It doesn't seem to come off w/ lens cleaning paper and fluid, so
     I *think* it's on the inner surface of the element.

     My guess is that this is the dreaded fungus that I've heard so
     much about.

     Will is get bigger?

     Am I more likely for my other lenses to develop fungus if I store
     them w/ this "infected" lens?

     I'm assuming that if I make some test shots, and don't see have
     any trouble, that the blotch must be small enough to not be an
     issue.  Is there anything in particular (e.g. flary situations?)
     that I should test?

     The lens was rated Ex, and no mention was made of the blotch.
     Should I feel misled?

g.