Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: On Excessive Sharpness -Reply
From: Gareth Jolly <gareth.jolly@minters.com.au>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 13:53:04 +1000

I'm torn by HCB's quote.

My starting point is that the quality of a photograph lies primarily in the
composition, light and the capture of moment.

That there is a danger of losing sight of this if you become too obsessed
by the technical aspects of photography - the camera, the lens quality,
the film etc.  I think that this is the danger all dedicated photographers
face.  I always become testy with photographers who criticise the
minutest aspects of the print of Selgado or Cartier Bresson's images.

But, that doesn't mean that the technical aspects are irrelevant or
unimportant.  On the contrary - particularly those technical aspects that
make the difference between capturing the image, with a reasonable
quality of reproduction, or not.

Perhaps, the key word in Cartier Bresson's quote is 'immoderate taste
for the sharpness '

Gareth

>>> Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net> 18/March/1999 11:06am >>>
It may be instructive to read the book, "Magnum, Fifty years at the front
line of history", by Russell Miller, to get a different perspective of HCB
(and of Magnum in general; what a messed up organization!).  You may
not
want to quote him so freely after reading it.  Just be satisfied with his
photographic legacy.

Dan C.