Subject: Re: [Leica] On Excessive Sharpness
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 19:54:06 -0800

Bruce Feldman wrote:

> Just came across this quote, which says it all:
>
> "I'm always amused by the ideas that certain people have about technique,
> which translates into an immoderate taste for the sharpness of the image.
> Is it a passion for detail?  For perfection?  Or do they hope to get closer
> to reality with this trompe l'oeil?  They are, by the way, as far away from
> the real issues as other generations of photographers were when they
> obscured their subjects in soft-focus effects."
>
>     -- HCB, quoted in American Photo, Sept/Oct '97, p. 76.

I wonder if his opinion about the sharpness geeks stopped HCB from
useing the sharpest lens he could find. I suspect not....???
I recall many conversations overheard about lenes the only criteria
being sharpness as if there were no other issue in the world and no
other word that could make something worth value…
"How's the weather?"
"Oh, Sharp, very Sharp with increasing sharpness expected thruout the night!"
"Any morning Sharpness?"
"Large open areas of exceeding sharpness at dawn"
"I'm feeling exceedingly sharp today!!"
Mark Rabiner