Subject: [Leica] Re: Adams, Weston, and... Welch?
From: "Bruce Feldman" <brucef@waw.pdi.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 21:53:55 +0100

I don't think HCB is an enemy of the wilderness, Eric.  I think what he
thought was that, as photographers, Adams and Weston were self-indulgent and
escapist, and that a photographer needs to be in the world and of the world.
I don't have his direct quote, but it was something like "The world is going
to pot while Adams and Weston are out there pondering rocks."  As
technically beautiful as the typical landscape of Adams is, to me it is like
a stage with no actors.  I appreciate the brilliance of both photographers,
I really do, but I think I understand where HCB was coming from there.

Regards,

Bruce Feldman
Warsaw