Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Resale value? Not an issue
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 07:34:06 -0600 (CST)

That was a CBer.....PLEASE don't confuse the two...and yes,
there used to be a BIG difference, but I fear that we
hams are NOT immune, either.....the two markets/players have
converged to a degree that makes me VERY uneasy....

Ham radio used to be inhabited by 99% decent folks.....CB was
an "outlaw" pursuit, by nature (hobby type activities on CB were
forbidden by federal regulations- read the regs)....This is
not an elitist stance, ham radio was open to ALL persons,
and represented a cross section from rich to poor...all on a
first name basis and level playing field....unfortunately,
they were 99+% male, and 99+% white, but that wasn't the ham's
fault....I assure you that anyone meeting the minimum standards
for licensing was welcome....and the standards were based
on a license class system using blind testing.  However, like
so many sound programs, this was deemed "unfair", as it
discriminated against stupidity and lack of effort....so
the "standards" were lowered gradually, beginning in the
seventies, to the point where now a couple night's study, with
the "question pool", and bingo, you're a "ham" (not a real one,
but technically a ham).

BTW, unlike most of this group's pastimes, the ham license
is essentially free, and old timers used to keep a couple
of "junker" radios on the shelf to share with underprivileged
new hams....I've given away several over the years, but not
any more....the "newbies" won't take them and use them, even
for FREE!!!

I guess what I'm saying is that I'd >like<to see ham radio and
CB radio clearly delineated, it may not be so anymore!!!

Thanks,
Walt

On Sun,
21