Subject: [Leica] Re: Autofocus & Leica
From: "Rob Studdert" <audiob@ozemail.com.au>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 11:35:09 +1000

On 22 Mar 99, at 16:02, LEICAMAN56@aol.com wrote:

> Arturo,
>
> I second your thoughts on Leica AF.  There are way too many people with
> sizeable investments in their R lenses to willingly replace them for an AF
> lens.  I think Leica will go along the lines of the Contax AF.  The
> supposed reason why the AX is so thick is the built in macro capability
> (extra 10mm of back travel) that the camera has.  I would gladly live
> without this capability to get a slimmer camera.

Hi,

The 10mm mentioned encompasses the total focus travel of the mirror box
assembly in the AX and is not able to be reduced. The "macro" function is
used in conjunction with manual focus, it simply overrides the auto-focus
operation and forces the mirror box assembly to move to the furthest
distance from the lens mounting flange (10mm). This effectively provides an
integrated 10mm extension on top of the lenses manual minimum focus
position.

Cheers,

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA