Subject: Re: [Leica] Autofocus & Leica
From: kabob@tiac.net (Bob Keene/Karen Shehade)
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 08:57:35 -0500

>------------------------------
>
>Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 16:26:21 -0800
>From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
>Subject: Re: [Leica] Autofocus & Leica
>
>D Khong wrote:
>>
>snip
>> I believe Leica should get an AF RF/SLR out into the market soon.  Many of
>> us are getting long in the tooth and weak in the eyes and would welcome the
>> advantages that AF has to offer.  I often ask myself: How can one continue
>> to happily use a camera which will give blurred shots due to eyesight
>> problem when there is an alternative loaded with extra features?
>>
>> Dan K.
>
>I though and I'm sure many of us have had. But on the other hand:
>snip<
>My Nikon SB23 Flash is on my M6 now. It is the most compact flash I
>have. If I put it on my 8008 which doesn't get much use I can also shoot
>in total darkness. And that was the first thing I did when I got that
>setup. Turn off all the lights in the house and went around doing
>telekinetic photography talk about going with the Force! The thought of
>a lazorbeam thing shooting out to focus my camera and so on was very
>exciting to me for a short while. I shot a roll with a model in total
>darkness. But then the novelty ended. And that was a few years back.
>If I was shooting these low light hard to see things you describe I
>would want a Noct. Or a 35 1.4 but I don't have either or a G2 so I
>can't speak from experience.
>I'm very happy with my Zeiss T* lenes on my 'Blad but on the G2 they are
>said to be very good but less then great and I'm used to great.
>Sorry to insult your glass.
>Mark Rabiner

Mark-

that 'laser beam thing' is EXACTLY why I now shoot a Leica/Canon 7
rangefinder.... once at a wedding, couple's first dance I aimed my Canon A2
w/80-200 f 2.8 --- and the "laser beam" lit up the grooms shaved head SO
vividly that the bride exclaimed; "What's THAT!?!- oh, it's your camera!"
kind of spoiled the moment to say the least!
I bill myself as a "Photo-Ninja"; the manual focus rangefinders aid me in
that. Yeah, I miss, especially shooting a Canon 50 f 1.4 LTM wide open once
in awhile- but that 'out of focus thing' sometimes has it's own charm....

Bob Keene