Subject: [Leica] Re: Resale value? Not an issue
From: S London <srlondon@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 16:05:33 -0800 (PST)

I understand the point you're trying to make, but let
me point something out.  If you are really looking to
try out for a short while, even something with a high
resale value, like a Noctilux, for instance, you are
still better off buying a used version in mint
condition.  Why?  Because the minute you walk out of
the camera store with a new lens, you immediate take a
hit for depreciation.  If you buy the used lens then
sell it back in a month, you will probably get at least
90% of what you paid for it.  You would be hard pressed
to beat that with anything new, regardless of how
comparably well it holds its value.

For most people, resale value is simply not the best
criteria for buying either a car or a camera... or
anything, for that matter.  Why?  Because resale value
is based in part on how other people regard the item.
There are certainly many good cameras with undeserving
poor resale values.  So by using resale value as a
primary selection factor, you are in essence letter
other people pick your camera for you.  Not the best
idea, in my mind.