Subject: [Leica] Looking to Trade -
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 12:39:02 -0500

Okay, this is a weird one...I am looking for a 21, last pre-asph, with
finder...I'm cash poor but object rich...if there are any LUGers out
there who are into truly rare political/historical artifacts...

I have a mat of the Washington Post's Nixon resignation front
page...This is not the newspaper page, this is a fiberboard mat pulled
from the "stone," the lead-type page. The way papers were printed in
pre-offset days, the lead type would be placed in a page size form, the
plates of the photos and headlines would be placed in position, and then
an impression of the page would be made by placing a mat on the type and
subjecting it to great pressure. Then a curved lead casting was made of
the mat, and that "plate" was placed on the press.

Usually, there would only be a single mat of each page - but the day of
the Nixon resignation, the Post made somewhere between 50 and 100 of
these mats for historical purposes, and gave one to each person who had
worked on that day's paper. I worked at the Post at the time, saw that
there were a few extras left, asked for and was given one.,..that was
1974, this is now..I'd rather have a 21 than the Nixon Resigns mat...but
believe me...the mat will eventually be worth a great deal more than the
21, as it is a truly limited collector's item.....so....if there's
anyone out there who has a 21 they're not using and wants as close to a
one-of-a-kind political collectible as they're ever going to get, let me
know.....

I'd also consider the latest version of the 28, but am really looking
for the 21...

B. D.(ilussional?)