Subject: Re: [Leica] New M-6 Owner
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 21:14:41 +0100

Hi Frank,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Leica M! I took the jump myself in April
last year and have enjoyed both the equipment and the companionship here on
the LUG tremendously. Be aware that buying the first Leica is a bit like
taking the first dose of an addictive drug; my initial M6+35mm Summicron
has mutated into an M6, M6HM, M3 plus an assortment of lenses in less than
a year! And no, I am not made of money.

And now to your questions:

- -the meter is in my experience at least as accurate as the meters on the
various Pentax SLRs I used before; of course you have to be aware of what
you are measuring.

- -I think that the Leica is equally suitable for any film. Personally, I
have the M6 loaded with slide film (Fuji Velvia or Provia 100), the M6HM
with B&W (Ilford Delta 100 or 400), and the M3 with high-speed film, either
B&W or slide (Delta 3200 or Provia 1600). In the end, you should choose the
film based on the kind of photography you want to do. Having said that, the
superb and fast M lenses give you the option of using relatively slow film
and shooting wide open with confidence.

Nathan

Frankster wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> After years of wanting a Leica M, I finally handed over 3000.00 (US
> Dollars) and bought a new M-6 with a new 35 mm/f2 ASPH Summicron lens.
> Being an SLR user, it's taking a little time getting use to the
> rangefinder. I don't know what it is, but the M-6 is such a pleasure to
> use. I have a few questions regarding the M-6:
>
> How accurate is the meter? Is there any tips or advice when using the
> built in metering system?
>
> Is black and white preferred over color transparencies with the M-6?
>
> Anyone have any technical info on Burk Uzzle, a well known leica
> photographer in the US?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Frank Becsi
> Tulsa, OK