Subject: [Leica] Re: Metering of 15mm Heliar on M6 and CLE
From: Cummer Family <cummer@asiaonline.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 17:24:06 +0800

hello Luggers,
I picked up my black 15mm Heliar and finder and Bessa body with case from
Tin Cheung in Hong Kong today (HK$7,000)(US$903) and have been out taking
pictures. I have fitted the lens with LTM to M adaptor to my M6s and CLE
and the lightmeters appear to work in all cases. The viewfinder is very
bright and clear - Leica like - but the lack of a focussing viewfinder on
the Bessa body is disconcerting in the beginning, but then you begin to
focus using depth of field - and it is immense - in a 15mm lens. Given that
the Leica competition is the Zeiss 16mm Hologen F8 which sells for, I
think, about US$3,000 in a Leica M mount Cosina should be able to sell a
tonne of these lens for Leica users wanting something very w i d e but
affordable. The Bessa body isn't much to write about - basically an FM 10
without finder - but nice to have as a newish LTM body - in Hong Kong you
can't yet buy the 15mm without buying the body - although the 25mm Skopar
is available at HK$4,200 (US$541). That seems a bit expensive to me, given
the lens has no focussing cam and is another depth of field focus lens.
Am looking forward to getting back the pictures.
Howard Cummer.