Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica & Contax test
From: "dan states" <dstate1@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 11:19:22 PST

Hi Bruce, you make a great point about the amount of used G cameras on
the market.  I was thinking of buying one for my wife to use as an
advanced point and shoot, but am warned off by the 6-10 bodies that
are always available used at my favorite photo shop.  While the lenses
seem to be excellent, the camera is apparantly not perfected yet.
Condsidering the relatively small amount of G cameras ever made it is
alarming to see so many available used.   Too bad, since I would love
to have one as an alternative body.  I have used Contax SLR's and the
optical quality is quite astounding for the prices....

Best Wishes
Dan

>This doesn't pass the smell test, Eric.  I was living in Japan when
both the
>G1 and G2 came out.  Nippon Camera, Asahi Camera, Capa, Photo
Contest, the
>big, thick, photography monthlies had page after page after page of
G-M
>comparison charts, photos, testimonials, the whole works --
surrounded by
>Contax ads.  Everyone knew what was up.  The Japanese, to their
credit, are
>Leica obsessed (check the ads in those magazines, for example).  The
>companies did nothing to distance themselves from the comparison --
in fact
>they actively, if subtlely, encouraged it in their advertising --
until it
>became obvious that the G would not be the Leica-killer (their words,
not
>mine) that it was intended to be.  THEN, the company flaks changed
their
>story and started to deny it was ever the purpose.  Right.
>
>Sidelight:  The number of new trial-balloon cameras introduced in
Japan on a
>yearly basis is relentlous.  Not all make it to the export market.
But
>within mere weeks you can tell what's a success and what isn't just
by
>making the rounds to the used equipment shops, which abound,
especially in
>Tokyo and Osaka.  In no time G1s and 2s started to pop up on the
shelves
>faster than anything I could remember.  That was the main thing that
raised
>my eyebrows about those cameras.  You're dead right about the
viewfinder,
>focus, and lens speed.
>
>Regards,
>Bruce Feldman