Subject: [Leica] another new M-6 Owner
From: thibault collin <tc-lnc@u-picardie.fr>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 12:31:41 +0200

Hi luggers,

I just bought an M6 (#174XXXX) from a friend who ordered a Contax 645 for
replacement. Due to the price of the stuff and especially the lenses, he had
to sell something!
So I also am a new M6 owner!
I already had M2, M4 and M4-P, the M6 is therefore a M4-P with integrated meter!
Honestly, I did not think that this bloody integrated meter would have been
so nice!! It some kind of surprises me anytime I using it because I don't
need the separated exposure meter! It might look stupid but I was getting
used to my old gear!!
According to all of you, the meter is accurate so I won't have any problems
with it! As said Tina, for tricky situations, I will meter on something
about Zone V.
Now I'm talking about construction :
All of what I read on the lug is true, the M6 is not build as an M2, that's
definite, same comparison with the M4 (and M3 of course!!). My surprise came
from the comparison with the M4-P : I feel that the quality of construction
of this M6 (which is rather old due to its serial number 174XXXX) is below
that of the M4-P! For instance, the baseplate of the M6 does not have the
same interior finish as the other M's including M4-P. The soldings and the
screws are not of the same quality, that obvious. Other wise, since I will
not unscrew the whole thing to check it, I think it's about to be the same!
My last comparison concerns the new M6-TTL : I really felt on the one I saw,
that the framelines were not bright at all and I did not like the viewfinder.
On this M6, it is about the same as the M4-P so It's ok...it's not as bright
and sharp as the M2's for instance but it's OK...
So why don't we integrate an M6 exposure meter into an old M2...
Thib.