Subject: Re: Antw: [Leica] Autofocus & Leica
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 16:18:36 +0200

Alan,

I am confused...my Pentax PZ1-P does not provide any focus confirmation when I
mount a Pentax K mount lens on it. I realize that it is not in the same class
as Nikon F5, but it is after all Pentax's top-of-line SLR and not cheap. Am I
missing something really simple?

Nathan

Alan Ball wrote:

> Lucien,
>
> As a matter of fact, ALL autofocus bodies provide focus confirmation with
> compatible mount, manual, electronics free lenses (most Nikons and all
> Pentax show complete backward compatibility in that respect). AFAIK, you
> will also get focus confirmation with a Leica R or a M42 lens mounted on an
> EOS body. There is no need for electronics in lenses for focus assistance
> applications: the sensors are in the body and they telemeter points as they
> will appear on the film plane. Electronics come in handy for sophisticated
> TTL flash management, and, depending on the supplier's architecture,
> reliable, non-mechanical, interactive management of the iris.
>
> Alan--

Nathan Wajsman
Overijse, Belgium
Photo page: http://members.tripod.com/belgiangator