Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica & Contax test
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 17:44:09 -0600

At 10:37 AM 3/28/99 -0800, you wrote:
>When I shoot in the dark dark I use a tripod and stop down, get it all
>in focus and set a timer. It's great not having to hassel with a mirror
>lock up routine.

Mark,

No matter what the light, there are always tradeoffs. If this works for
you, great. But that's not what the Leica M6 is specifically designed for.
It's designed to be a fast lens camera that can be hand-held. To keep the
shutter speeds up and still get great results. I photographed in a coffee
house last night. Hand held at 1.4 and 1/8 to 1/30 seconds, depending on
what I'm shooting. The key to fast lenses is to keep the shutter speed up.
I have taken pictures in the past three days with my 35 Summilux ASPH at
wide apertures that would have been impossible to get in any slower lens.
Slower shutter speeds were not options. Sometimes 1/60 and 1/125 are
necessary - as when a subject is moving too quickly for 1/8 seconds. That's
what I use my M6 for more than anything. Situations where 2.8 lenses just
don't hack it. And flash isn't an option.

But for those who don't need that kind of lens with that speed, it would be
a waste of money big time. Stick with the slow lenses, and enjoy. The M6
works great for that too. It's a flexible enough camera to keep us all happy.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Backups? We doan *NEED* no steenking baX%^~,VbKx NO CARRIER