Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Autofocus & Leica- Reason For Rom
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 11:14:37 -0600

At 09:23 PM 3/29/99 +0000, you wrote:
>One can devote so much more time into
>composing when one does not have the hassle of calculating exposure,
>focussing, film speed setting, film loading and rewinding, exposure
>compensation, flash metering, etc etc etc.

Wait a minute. How do you avoid film loading? There is really no difference
in practice between AF an MF when it comes to average subjects. And in
fact, can take longer to focus in some situations because you have to
focus, recompose then shoot. While with an SLR you can focus on any part of
the screen. I guess the M6 doesn't share this advantage, other than once
the focus is set, you don't have to worry about touching the shutter
release, or the AF button, and having the camera try to focus at an
inappropriate time.

How often do you have to set film speed? This is hardly a burden. And
Leica's R8 already has DX. And what camera, besides digital, doesn't
require rewinding? You can automate this stuff sure. But it's not like one
doesn't have to stop and do that stuff, manually or automatically. So it's
not like it's compelling to make the M6 like every other camera out there.
And certainly not like the Contax G series. Why follow Contax on a camera
that doesn't fit into the category of what Leica M cameras have stood for
for so many decades? I think some things would be great to automate.

As long as it doesn't take away from the functionality of the camera, or
the size, or speed, then I'm fer it. Electronic shutter, great! AF, with
matrix metering? Great. AF? Sure, if it works, and I don't lose manual
focusing. But I really doubt that will fit into a box the size of the M6.
Now without a major overhaul that might not be what we want. I suspect
they're designing a totally new camera, if at all. And from what has been
said here on the list before, I'm beginning to doubt that. The future of AF
at Leica is the R series.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

As far as I'm concerned, treachery will sometimes bring loyalty into question.