Subject: Re: [Leica] Reason for ROM
From: Lucien <lucien@ubi.edu>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 12:17:59 +0200

Robert Rose wrote:

> I am still trying to understand what the ROM does.<snip>
> So far I have found only one difference.  A non-ROM lens does not transmit its focal
> length to the Metz flash.  The flash zoom has to be set manually.  The lens aperture is
> transmitted to the camera and flash, however, with a non-ROM lens.  A ROM zoom is
> very nice with flash, since it will control the zoom head automatically.

Yes, that's the more obvious advantage of the ROM.

It's not possible to add ROM to older Leica zooms,
with the exception of the Vario-Apo-Elmarit-R f/2.8/70-180
(11267) but without sensor for flash zooming.
:-(
Cf.the ROM modification page on Leica Web site:
<http://www.leica-camera.com/support/techserv/umbau/rom/rom_e.htm>

BTW, if it's possible to add the ROM to old
Vario-Apo-Elmarit-R f/2.8/70-180
but without flash zooming possibility, it should have some
other advantages.
;-)

Lucien