Subject: [Leica] RE: Reliability, was Leica vs G2
From: "Aubin, Norman C" <Norman.Aubin@Europe.Boeing.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 13:57:15 +0100

Well, Martin, I have owned 'em,  as do all my riding pardners,
and I've wrenched on 'em too.

My sporty required new valve cover gaskets after 37,000 miles (5 years),
a buddies Evo Glide needed head gaskets at 75,000 miles,
and the other big twin Evo's have gone anywhere from 40 - 80 K miles
without needing any engine opening or other major work.  Better than
most Detroit Iron, if you ask me!

The biggest reliability problem the Evo HD suffers from is the home garage
mechanic with a shop manual and a tool kit!  Sorta like the M6, theres
no way I'd open one up and adjust anything inside, even with a shop manual
and the proper tools.

Still, even if all the below was true, I'd ride it.  After all, I use a
manual camera
that needs a separate light meter, film that needs tweaking in the darkroom,
I take pictures in the rain, and generally enjoy using devices that have
more
personality than a refrigerator.  Otherwise I would use a C or N camera,
instead of Leica.

But, thats why God gives us choices, so we can make them.

Take care,

Norm