Subject: Re: [Leica] Lens Caps and Filters
From: Martin Howard <marho@ikp.liu.se>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 16:29:56 +0200

I use a 12585 on my 50 DR 'cron and a 12524 on my 35 'cron.  Front caps
are only ever used at home: when using the cameras, the hoods are on
in the normal position, both on the camera and in the bag.  When lenses
are in the bag, they are face down towards the bag, hoods still on in
the normal position, and have back-caps mounted.

This allows rapid changing of lenses, and limits the number of caps that
can get lost.  The front element of the lenses is still pretty well
protected, because the hoods are on at all times.  The lenses don't
weight all that much, so the metal of the 12585 supports the DR 'cron
and the plastic of the 12524 supports the 35 'cron (though I'd really
like this to be metal too, for added protection).

While I do have the 14033 cap for the 12585 in the reversed position,
I find that there is much greater risk of scratching the barrel with
the metal protrusions of the hood when reversing it, than of the front
element getting marked when in the bag.  So, it doesn't get used all
that much and almost never in the 'field'.

M.

- --
Martin Howard, Grad. Schl. for Human-Machine Interaction,  |
HMI/IKP, Linkoping University, SE-581 83 Linkoping, Sweden.|    Just
Tel: +46 13 28 5741; Fax: +46 28 2579; ICQ: 354739         | say "DOOH"
E-mail: marho@ikp.liu.se; www.iav.ikp.liu.se/staff/marho/  +------------