Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Re: Autofocus & Leica
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 21:15:27 +0200

Roger,

I believe that the pressure from the shareholders is due to the poor financial
performance and not Leica's niche market status per se. It is quite possible
for a company to be a niche player and still be profitable; in fact, virtually
every luxury/high-end product is a niche product by definition. Leica has a
position among cameras similar to Rolls Royce in cars, Ducati or Bimota in
motorcycles etc. None of these companies will ever rival the Fords and Hondas
of this world in terms of size and volume. If they tried, they would destroy
their product. But every company, whether niche or mass market, needs to be
profitable to survive in the long run. This is what has Leica's shareholders
upset.

Nathan

Roger Beamon wrote:

> Agree, Nathan, but it is probably increasingly difficult for Leica to
> remain content with their niche market status. The pressure from
> the public stockholders is what has changed in the equation.
> --
> Roger
> mailto:roger@beamon.org
>
>      The precept: Judge not, that ye be not judged... is an
>      abdication of moral responsibility. It is a moral blank
>      check one gives to others in exchange for a moral blank
>      check one expects for oneself. The moral principle to adopt
>      is: Judge, and be prepared to be judged.
>                  -- Ayn Rand

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Overijse, Belgium