Subject: [Leica] Lens caps and filters
From: "Anderson, Ferrel" <AndersonF@ria.army.mil>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 16:31:39 -0600

My first solution for securing the 50 Summicron lens cap was to cut notches
in the interior vertical ridges so that I could turn the cap to "bayonet" it
on the reversed lens hood release detents.  My second solution was to leave
the lens hood on in the forward position and cover it with the lens cap for
the original 90 Elmarit-R and 135mm Elmarit-R lenses.  It fits perfectly.
The lens hood for the 50mm Summicron is still available on back order from
Leica, so I suppose the cap is too.   I don't recommend the use of UV
filters unless you need them for pictorial reasons.  Some do degrade
resolution, and one can also expect flare under some conditions.