Subject: Re: [Leica] I missed it.
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 07:59:39 -0600

At 10:29 PM 3/31/99 -0800, you wrote:
>One candid picture that worked very well with the subject looking straight at
>the camera is Eisenstaedt's shot of Joseph Goebbels.

Blood curdling. Have you read what Eisenstadt said about that picture?
Without a caption, it's not quite as powerful, because for one thing, you
wouldn't likely know who this person is. And that makes all the difference.
Otherwise, it could be "Pee Wee Herman's grandfather has indigestion." (I'm
not making light of who Goebbels is!)

Like I, and many others, have said, there's no easy formula. You probably
picked out one of the best examples there is. (Along with McCurry's photo
of the Pakistani girl someone mentioned).

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

My computer's sick. I think my modem is a carrier.