Subject: [Leica] W. Eugene Smith
From: "David W. Almy" <dalmy@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 08:39:49 -0500

All,

Gene Smith was one of the greatest, perhaps eclipsing even HCB, IMVHO.
The reason I say this is/was his different style. If you spend time with
Country Doctor, Minimata or Spanish Village, you know that he was an
artist first, photographer second. I have (somewhere) a book entitled
Great Photographic Essays from LIFE, which you all should have. In it,
selected LIFE photo essays are printed as they appeared in the magazine
as originally published. The narrative which introduces each essay
comments on the photographer and the layout. Spanish Village is
characterized as "the icy pinnacle of perfection." Yikes. Of course, to
walk through the pages is to visit some extraordinary and near-perfect
images. Three soldiers with tricorn(?) hats looking off into the
distance. The spinster. They were invasive, active, bold, piercing,
wonderful. They were not snapshots. They are among the best you will
ever see.

David W. Almy
Annapolis